August 30, 2010

Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches

I'm back!  Not that I went anywhere but geeze, I was away for a while.  Things just got really busy for some reason.  End of summer activities I guess.  This past weekend M and my brother in law hosted a combined birthday party for me and my sister in law.  It was super fun and I will tell you a little bit about it.  There's really not that much to tell and believe it or not, I didn't get any pictures of food except for the cake which really is the most important food at a birthday anyway, right? 

Hey, want to know what I'm going to do?  I'm running a 5K in September!  I'm a little scared.  I don't run.  It will be interesting.  Right now, I'm in "training."  he he  I think it's funny for me to say that.  I am one of the most unathletic human beings on the planet but I'm excited to be doing this.  I have always wanted to and now I am!  My cousin got me into it.  It is in support of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure and it is something that's important to me and my family.  It is a great cause and as a side bonus, it will be great for my body because Lord knows, I need some help.




We have been cooking some but I feel like we're slacking.  But really, I think we're cooking more especially now that M is out of school.  Is it weird to think we haven't done much when we really have?  I guess I haven't made anything stellar.  Except for these sandwiches.  I love grilled vegetable sandwiches.  They are so tasty and healthy really.  They're win-win.  And believe it or not, they were M's idea.  Mr. I-must-have-meat-at-every-meal suggested vegetable sandwiches!  I stood with a gaping mouth.  It was a great idea and super easy.  You can use whatever vegetables, cheese, and bread you want.  Here's what we did:



Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
A recipe by Noelle

I used a stove top grill pan and it worked perfectly.

2 bell peppers, any color, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
1 summer squash, sliced into rounds
1 small eggplant, sliced into rounds
1 onion, sliced into rounds or triangles
olive oil
salt and pepper
mozzarella cheese
soft sub rolls

Preheat a grill or a stove top grill pan on medium high heat.  Toss the chopped vegetables with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Once the grill is hot, add the vegetables in a single layer.  If you are using a grill pan, you may need to do this in batches.  Cook on each side for about 5-8 minutes until there are grill marks.  Flip over and cook on the other side until grill marks appear.

Slice the sub rolls and put some cheese on both sides of the bread.  Place a bunch of the vegetables onto the roll and cover with the other side of the bread.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment