August 6, 2010

Pork and Vegetable Lo Mein

Don't you just love the word noodle?  I think it is a funny word.  I actually call Maddux a little noodle face.  Why?  I don't know.  It just came out of my mouth one day.  You know what I like to put in my mouth?  Noodles.  Back in high school, I did the typical teenage thing and ate bowls and bowls of Ramen noodles.  Those dehydrated bricks of noodles were fascinating to me.  I would drain off some of the broth so it wasn't quite so liquidy and I had a super awesome noodle bowl.  So I thought.  Now there are all kinds of amazing noodle bowls and I should eat them more.  Noodle bowls are cool.  I like stir frys too and Lo Mein.  When I have made stir frys in the past, I always used rice.  This time, I wanted noodles and noodles I got.

This was a super quick and easy dinner and only dirtied one pan which is key.  I love one pot dinners.  I also didn't want the standard old chicken so I used boneless pork chops instead.  It's the other white meat! It was yummy in my mouth (as opposed to yummy in my tummy which doesn't make sense to me because you don't taste yumminess in your tummy). 


Pork and Vegetable Lo Mein
A recipe by Noelle at A Homemade Kitchen

2 boneless pork chops, sliced into strips
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 carrots, sliced into disks
2 celery stalks, sliced into half moons
1 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 or so button mushrooms, sliced
1 small broccoli crown, chopped into florets
Stir fry sauce, any kind
2 tbsp soy sauce
salt and pepper
Lo Mein noodles, I used Hokkien noodles (you could also use cooked spaghetti or vermicelli)

Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat.  Add the pork strips and cook until no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes.  Stir them around often.  Be careful of spattering.  Hot oil hurts!  Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, mushrooms and broccoli.  Stir fry for about 2 minutes.  Add the stir fry sauce and soy sauce.  Season with salt and pepper, if you like.  Add the noodles.  Toss everything together and heat the noodles through.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment