January 27, 2012

Chicken Burgers with Caesar Pesto


Many people are asking for baby bump pictures.  I have trouble taking them because I just feel weird.  I tried to take some of myself and this is the result:
Awkward.


I look like I'm pushing the belly out here but I wasn't.  I really don't know what I was doing.

Not looking the cutest but there's the bump.  This is at week 17. 

Anywho, I should probably write a food post.  You all could be getting a little tired with the pregnancy updates.  But that's really all I got going on so meh.  It's my blog after all.

Just a quick story.  M cancelled his current gym membership because he signed up with a better one.  To cancel the old gym, you have to mail in your cancellation notice.  They will not take it for you at the gym nor can you fax or email it.  The best part: it had to be mailed to a PO Box in the town we live in.  So we had to go to the town Post Office, mail this stupid thing certified mail to a box that was IN the Post Office we went to.  AND it cost $3.40.  The absurdity was astounding.

Back to the food.  I have actually been really digging carbs lately.  Before the pregnancy, I could do without the bread basket, I did not like thick bread on sandwiches, and I only liked thin crust pizza.  Now, I want some bread.  So I guess you could say that's a craving.  I have been really liking the idea of sandwiches lately and I came across this recipe for Chicken Burgers with a Caesar Pesto.  Dude.  So good.  I got some nice chewy rolls and chowed down.  M ate two and a half of them.  Shh.  Don't let him know I told you that.  They really tasted like a Chicken Caesar Salad.
I got rolls that were bigger than the burgers. hehe


Chicken Burgers with Caesar Pesto
Adapted from Rachael Ray

For the Pesto:
1 cup romaine lettuce leaves, chopped plus four whole leaves reserved for the burgers
Handful grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 garlic clove, chopped
Pepper
Handful of walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor.  Add half the olive oil and pulse into a thick sauce.  Stream in a little bit more olive oil while pulsing to get a nice sauce.  Reserve until ready to use.

For the burgers:
1 lb ground chicken
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/tsp dried thyme
extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 garlic clove, minced
Crusty or chewy rolls
Shredded Parmesan cheese

In a bowl, mix the ground chicken, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, coriander, sage, marjoram, and thyme all together.  Form 4 patties.

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add a coating of olive oil to the pan.  Cook the burgers until cooked through, about 12 minutes total, flipping over once.

While the burgers are cooking, melt the butter and add the garlic clove.  Split open the rolls.  Brush with garlic butter.  Sprinkle with shredded cheese.  Place in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes until bread starts to toast and cheese melts.

Serve the patties on the cheesy rolls with pesto and lettuce leaf on top. 

Optional: You may also add some sliced onion on the burger.  M did.





No comments:

Post a Comment