January 6, 2012

Let's Talk Food


Pregnancy is tough; not going to lie.   I'm 14 weeks into this with 26 weeks (give or take) left.  Seems like forever but I know it will be here before I know it.  And now that I'm finally feeling better, bring it on!  Like the "baby bump."  It was a surreal realization.  One day, there it was and it's like holy moly, there IS a baby in there!  Kind of freaked me out a little.

The first 9 weeks or so were bad.  The nausea was excruciating.  But you have to eat.  And what do you eat?  I would go into the grocery store and absolutely nothing was appealing.  I had no idea what I wanted to eat.  M would ask what we should get and I just said whatever you want, I'll choke down what I can.  And so it was for 9 weeks.  People told me it would get better but while you feel that way, you don't believe them.  You want to shout "Liar!  I will have 31 more weeks of this!"  But then you feel better - eventually.  Which is good because I was basically a hermit for those 2.5 months.  I told M there is no going out.  Most days I wanted to be like Maddux, hiding under a blanket.

One bad aspect of having my first trimester during the fall was I essentially missed out on Thanksgiving dinner.  This is one of my favorite meals of all time.  And I could hardly eat any of it.  Probably due to my poultry and vegetable aversion I had going on.  Or it could have been my brother in law's awesome cheesy salsa dip he made as an appetizer.  That was something that actually tasted good so I loaded up.  I was also able to get dessert down too so I guess I didn't miss out completely on the holiday.

Then there's the food I can't (or am not allowed to) eat.  Like deli meats, pepperoni, salami, certain fishes, under cooked meat (shoe leather steak, anyone?) and unpasteurized dairy.  I was like, no problem.  I can live without those things for 9 months.  Except when you're told you can't have something, you want it all the more.  I told M that after the baby comes, this is what I want for food:

  • An Italian sub (all time favorite sub)
  • Pepperoni pizza
  • A steak cooked to medium perfection (a glass of wine would be nice here too)
  • A Turkey Club Sandwich
  • Anything with some feta and/or bleu cheese (where it's not cooked until it's bubbly)

I'm typically not one for turkey sandwiches, but I want one now.  Another thing you can't have is bacon.  BACON!!  WHAT?!  I was like how can I live without some bacon?  Then the doctor said, it's the nitrates.  If you can find nitrate free bacon, you can have it! 

I now fall to my knees in gratitude at Whole Foods who supply nitrate free bacon.  I just had a BLT for lunch today.  I love me a BLT.



Anyway, I will get through this and I will once again eat all the foods I love.  26 more weeks, 26 more weeks....

1 comment:

  1. I never gave up my soft cheeses - never ever in all 3 gestations. Trust your nose - it WONT lead you wrong. feta got me through my first, brie the second, and BLTS my third! (and I never went all natural on bacon either).

    ReplyDelete