November 30, 2012

Grammar ignorance?



Yes, there is a redesign.  I get bored.  Too colorful?  I kind of like it.  It's food related but fun and bright!  Just like baby toys.  Which is a lot of what I'm seeing lately.  At least this blog doesn't play music.  Some of those toys do not shut off until they are good and ready.  It's only just begun.  I know.



Thanksgiving was so wonderful!  Jackson of course couldn't really eat much but he sat at the table with us and he tried Grammie's homemade squash.  He gagged like crazy.  It had to have been the texture.  It wasn't pureed enough.  I added some formula to thin it out but it wasn't enough.  Oh well!  He enjoyed his Thanksgiving meal of formula.



My niece is the sweetest little thing.  She's already such a little mama to Jackson.  She just says "Baby.  Baby." and touches him with such sweetness.  She even held his hand.  One of my favorite moments of the day.



Moving on.  I've decided to use this blog, at times, for a portal for my venting and complaining.  Today is the day for one such post.

Taking classes, working full time, and having a baby at home is very difficult.  It is so hard to find the time to do what you need to to meet the needs of work, home, and school.  Especially when you have a professor that tells you don't know how to write, have bad grammar, and need to utilize the staff at the writing center at the university.  Say what?  I have grammar ignorance?

Um?  I don't know how to write?  Why don't you come and talk to me when you can send out a communication email without a typo?  K?

Can I also point out that this is a baseball course?  It is called Baseball and the American Experience.  Get over yourself, buddy.

I was livid the other day when he gave me a C on my paper.  While to some that might be fine, to me, no way.  I don't get C's.  Sorry to toot my own horn but as an adult learner, we are not getting this education to just get by.



We are here to do well.  He said this is not a grammar course and he's not grading as such.  Except that he was and I called him out on it.  Apparently other students did as well.  He said in the past, if he found five grammatical errors on the first page of a paper, he would stop reading but he will "soften."  Really?  Believe me, I understand being annoyed with incorrect grammar and spelling.  It bothers me to no end and sometimes I refuse to bring my business somewhere if there is a typo on a pamphlet.  I have also been known to find errors in restaurant menus.  So you can see my offense when he tells me I don't know how to write.  One example was he dinged me for ending a sentence with the word "too."  He said you can't end a sentence with a preposition.  Can somebody please tell me when it was made a rule that a sentence cannot end with this word?  How else is this word used?  Can we only say "I too liked it" instead of "I liked it too."  Please.  Example of his comments.



I can also spy a grammatical error or misspelling in about .45 seconds flat.

I think it's more of a writing style preference   I tend to write how I would speak.  Perhaps some of those sentences are not the correct "way" of writing but I'm not writing in slang in a school assignment.  The writing I do here and there are different.  But whatever.  He's a clown and I'm not changing anything.  I have never had an issue with my writing before this guy.  We had the option of sending a draft of our midterm assignment to him for review so I did.  He said "What an improvement!"  Dude, nothing changed.  It stands now as a 92/A-.  I'm not doing anything more on it.  My luck with this guy, the grade would go down.

I digress.

The holidays are coming!  We have lots of things scheduled!  We have office Santa parties, birthdays, breakfasts, and Jackson's dedication service!  Busy, busy.



No comments:

Post a Comment