November 2, 2012

Food, Food, Food

Baby is four months already!  Where did that time go?  I thought the first few weeks were never going to end but look where we are.  Now I want things to slow down!

But I am excited for this new food phase of his life.  Time to start solid foods.  I am super excited about this.  I don't even drink the bottles but I'm taste-bored for him!  A couple weeks ago it was seeming like the bottles just weren't cutting it so I reached out to my Mommy friends and they all said bring on the cereal!  The unanimous consensus was to start with oatmeal so that's where we went.  The first time he had it, he thought about it for a bit and looked cross-eyed at the spoon like what in the heck is that thing coming for my face?  Once a good amount of food finally made it into his mouth, he did pretty well!  Every feeding of oatmeal since then, he has eaten more and more and finally finished a whole bowl.  He's turning into a little piggy.  Too bad his weight isn't reflecting that just yet.

He had his four month checkup earlier this week.  Stats are:

Weight: 13lbs 4oz
Height: 25.5 inches
Head: 42 centimeters



Getting hungry, Mama!  I'm all ready in my businessman bib.



So basically, he's tall and skinny right now.  We'll see how long that lasts after starting baby food.

Because next up is FRUITS!  I am very excited.  I think I'll start with apples or peaches.  I might introduce sweet potatoes in the next few weeks too.  Just in time for Thanksgiving!  Lucky duck. 




I also have a recipe to share!  I know!  It's been a long time.  I had the fam over for dinner a couple weeks ago and made my version of chicken pot pie that is adapted from an Ina Garten recipe.  Using biscuits as the crust gives everyone their own and there is no fighting over the crust!  How bad could that be?  Not bad at all, my friends. 


Chicken Pot Pie
Adapted from Ina Garten

3 chicken breasts, bone in or boneless
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
5 cups chicken stock
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp dried thyme
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter
2 cups chopped yellow onions (about 2 onions)
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups medium-diced carrots (about 4 carrots), blanched for 2 minutes in boiling water
1 10-ounce package frozen peas
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 can refrigerated biscuits
1 egg, beaten
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Place in oven and roast for about 45 minutes until cooked through.  Set aside to cool.  Once cool, cut into bite sized chunks.

In a sauce pan, add the chicken stock, ground sage, and thyme.  Heat the stock over medium low heat.

In a large, deep oven safe skillet, melt the butter.  Add the onions and saute until soft.  Add the flour and stir until a nice roux is formed.  Gently pour in the hot chicken stock.  Let the sauce thicken and then add the heavy cream, chicken, carrots, peas, parsley, and season with salt and pepper.  Stir well to combine. Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes.

Remove the biscuits from the can and place on a baking sheet.  Place in the oven and pre-bake for about 1/3 of recommended baking time listed on the can.

Remove the chicken mixture from the oven and place the pre-baked biscuits on the top of the mixture.  Brush the tops of the biscuits with the beaten egg.  Put back into the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes until the biscuits are baked through and golden brown on top.

Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment