August 27, 2012

How do you do it?



I have been filling out the paperwork and enrollment forms for Jackson's childcare.  There are so many questions and information you need to provide which I think is great.  They want to know all kinds of things about your child and where they are developmentally.  I will be going to the daycare in the next couple of weeks for Jackson to meet the teachers and to go over all of the things I need to provide (like formula, diapers, clothing, crib sheets, etc).  I am getting nervous and so sad.  My maternity leave and bonding time is almost over.  Four more weeks.  Where did this time go?

I am excited to get back to work and to have more "brain" activity.  I'm not sure my personality is built to be a stay at home mom.  I need activity, I need to use my brain, and I need to get out of the house (not that you can't do these things with a child).  But the thought of being away from my little guy every day makes me want to burst into tears.  How do you do it?

That first morning when I drop him off, I know I will sob the entire drive into work.  Note to self: Bring make up so I can reapply when I get to the office.  I know he will be well cared for and it will do nothing to break the bond I have with him.  I have just spent every day of the past eight weeks with him and will do the same for the next four.  While there were many days, especially at the beginning that were excruciating, to not be with him all day will be so hard. I won't see the things he does everyday.  I won't hear his little noises and coos.  I won't be able to just watch him sleep.  I will miss him terribly.

I also know it will be good  for him.  He will begin socializing with other babies and adults.  He will have structured activity and sleep time.  This is good.  Just how do you easily leave your child with people you don't know? 

And then by the time I pick him up, he will need to eat, be played with a little, and then it will be time for bed.  Not much time.  When do M and I fit dinner in?  Will the dog get walked?  Will I be able to cook?  I'm not sure how I can do it all.  And the morning.  Do I get up earlier to get myself ready and then the baby up, fed, and clothed?  Or do I just change him and leave the feeding up to daycare?  I guess it depends on when he wakes up.  I realize M can help but with his job, it is almost impossible.  That's another story all on it's own.  When do I clean my house?  Weekends?  I don't want to.  I am going to want to spend as much time as I can with Jackson since I can't during the week.

Seriously.  How do working moms do it?


No comments:

Post a Comment