July 9, 2010

Tomato and Feta Pasta Salad

Pasta salad has become sort of my signature which is funny because I don't make them that often.  Several years ago I made a pasta salad for a party and it was a major hit.  Now everyone loves it and wants me to make it a lot.  It was Rachael Ray's Supreme Pizza Pasta Salad and it is really awesome.  I have not changed around any of the ingredients so go check it out and make it.  My family just calls it "Noelle's Pasta Salad" but really, it's Rachael's.

For the Fourth of July, my family hosted a little gathering and shocking, I was asked to make the pasta salad.  I didn't want to do the same one so I came up with something different.  I was looking through the latest issue of Bon Appetit magazine and there was this recipe for a pasta salad with this green olive mixture, capers and anchovies.  I thought it sounded very interesting but I knew not everyone would like those flavors so I just sort of came up with my own.  I can't really say that I adapted it from the magazine because it is not even close.  The only similarity is a mustardy dressing and tomatoes so this one might actually be "Noelle's Pasta Salad." 



Tomato and Feta Pasta Salad
A recipe by Noelle at A Homemade Kitchen

1 lb short cut pasta, I used gemelli
1-2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 medium cucumber, chopped
1/4 red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 8oz tub of feta cheese
6-8 fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Salt the water liberally and cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain well and rinse under cold water to cool the pasta down.  Set aside.

Meanwhile, add the tomatoes and cucumber to a big bowl.  I soaked the diced onion in some water for a little while before adding it to the salad so you can go ahead and do that as well.   Soaking the onion sort of tames the bite an onion can have so it is not quite as strong.  Or just add it right into the bowl with the tomatoes and cucumber.

In a small bowl add the garlic, red wine vinegar and dijon mustard.  Whisk together.  Slowly stream in the olive oil continuing to whisk until it has emulsified and all come together.

Add the pasta to the bowl with the veggies.  Also add in the feta cheese and basil.  Pour the dressing all over the salad.  Mix all the ingredients together to thoroughly combine.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Either serve immediately or cover and place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours for the flavors to meld.  I made this salad several hours ahead of time and it makes the flavors more pronounced. 

Note: It was fantastic the next day.  M and I brought it to work as our lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment