July 6, 2010

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

When M and I were dating, my mother would make him banana bread quite frequently.  Once she found out he loved banana bread, she went a little crazy.  Not that it was a bad thing; banana bread is super delicious.  Since M and I have been married, the banana bread making has become very infrequent.  Really, it became non-existant.  M needed some banana bread.


I pulled out the recipe my mother always used and went to town.  Then I had this brillant idea (can I say that about myself?) to add chocolate chips.  My friends, the angels sang in my kitchen that day.  Chocolate chip banana bread was born and M devoured it in about a day and a half.  I promise to make this bread a more common occurance in our home.  It should be in yours as well.


Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Adapted from The India House

3 overly ripe bananas
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup melted butter, slightly cooled
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips, milk or semi sweet

Preheat the oven to 325.  Grease a loaf pan.

Peel bananas and place in a bowl.  Mash with a fork or a potato masher.  Add the sugar, egg, flour, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.  Mix to combine.  Add the chocolate chips and stir until those are just combined.

Add the batter to the loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour.  Do not overbake!  Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.  Once the bread has cooled, remove the bread from the loaf pan to a plate.  Slice and serve.  M likes to put butter on his and then warm it in the microwave for a few seconds.  I just like to add some butter and eat it right away.

Store the bread covered and it will keep for up to 3 days or so.  It does not last that long in our house though.

No comments:

Post a Comment