September 18, 2010

Chicken Soup with Red Pepper and Spinach

I did it, folks.  I ran three miles today (with the exception of about a 2 minute walk near to the end).  I had to.  My cousin took me on the route she typically does and it so nicely has a boat load of hills.  And of course, one right at the end.  And I'm not talking some short incline.  It is one of the long slow grade ones that you don't really notice until you have to run it.  She did warn me but I was like no, I'll be fine.  Right.  Just until my lungs decided to start stabbing me in the chest.  But it's fine.  Hopefully the 5K in the city will be more flat.  I'm sticking with that thought anyway.

Since this morning's run, I have actually felt pretty depleted all day.  It really does take a lot out of you.  So instead of the laundry and bathroom cleaning I should be doing, I want to tell you about chicken soup.  M and I love chicken soup.  We make it a lot, many different ways.  I'll get them up on this blog eventually but here is the latest one.  We roasted a chicken the other night (I'll tell you about that too someday) and there was a ton left over.  One of the best things to do with that chicken is make a soup.  So soup I made.  I added a red pepper because I had a one in the fridge as well as some baby spinach.  It was a good idea.  The soup was quite flavorful and the added surprise of tomatoes really made it richer than the standard chicken soup broth.  It was quick and easy and we like that in our house.



Chicken Soup with Peppers and Spinach
A recipe by Noelle

extra virgin olive oil
2 carrots, sliced into rounds
2 celery stalks, sliced into half moons
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups cooked chicken
2 handfuls baby spinach
salt and pepper
parmesan cheese

Heat a dutch oven or large soup pot over medium high heat.  Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot.  Add the carrots and celery and cook for about 3 minutes.  Add the onions and garlic and cook for about another minute or two.  Add the red pepper.  Cook for a minute.  Add the bay leaf, thyme and marjoram.  Stir to combine.  Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, and chicken.  Give the soup a stir and reduce the heat to low and cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

Right before serving, stir in the baby spinch to wilt.  Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.  Ladle into serving bowls and serve immediately.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment