April 7, 2010

School Lunches

This blog is intended to be a place where I can keep notes of recipes that I have enjoyed.  I didn't intend to post anything other than little stories and recipes.  However, there is an issue out there that I do feel strongly about.  Kids today are not getting enough nutrition - at home or at school.  Sometimes their only meal of the day is their school lunch and I think it is extremely important that children are fed nutritious lunches at school.  Childhood obesity is running rampant in this country and I think it is up to the schools and our local government to aide in the efforts to make our children healthier.

I have recently discovered a new blog.  It is called Fed Up With Lunch: The School Lunch Project.  It is written by a school teacher who decided she would begin eating the school lunch every day and then blog about what is served.  I think it is a fantastic idea.

I truly don't know what is served day to day in a school's cafeteria but I do know that nutrition is lacking.  There is a huge undertaking (including by the Federal government) to get school lunches improved and I think any way that can promote awareness is a giant step in getting these meal offerings improved.  I do not have any children yet but when I do, I want them to be provided a healthy lunch at school.

Celebrity Chef Jamie Oliver has started a petition to get healthier foods into school lunches.  You can check this out at Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.  And I encourage you to sign the petition whether or not you have children.

Kids today are not provided with the nutrients they need and unfortunately, this occurs at home as well.  And that is not always the parents' fault.  Vegetables are expensive and I think that is completely wrong.  Organic foods are also outrageously priced.  Fast food is the food of convenience and this makes me sad.  It does not have to take long to make a family dinner nor does it have to be fancy.  Take the few extra minutes to have a family dinner at the kitchen table.  This is even more important if your child is not getting a healthy lunch.  And if it is difficult for a family to provide a well balanced meal at home, this makes it all the more important that kids get it at school.

I apologize that there is no recipe but I think this is an important topic and everyone needs to be educated especially when it comes to your children.  If you have any thoughts, leave a comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment