April 6, 2010

I'll Take Their Word for It

Easter has come and gone and it was a great day.  The weather in the area was perfect for Easter egg hunts.  The annual gathering typically takes place at my grandmother's house.  Everyone goes to church and then everyone meets up for Easter dinner.  The menu is always simple as my grandmother is the organist at her church and she has three services in the morning and simple is always best.  And simple tastes good.  We had the Imperial Baked Chicken, twice baked potatoes, asparagus wrapped in ham, corn pudding, pasta salad, and warm dinner rolls.  It was filling and it was great to get around the table with the extended family.

After we ate, we all went outside for an Easter egg hunt with my two nieces.  One is six and the other is only one.  She was so cute walking around the yard picking up the eggs.  She loved holding them in her hands and giving them a shake, listening to all the candy rattle around inside.  She had a big smile on her face and was having a ball.  She really enjoyed her first Easter egg hunt.

Once all the eggs were found, we went back inside and had dessert and I was charged with providing that portion of our meal.  I found a recipe for a Lemon White-Chocolate Cheesecake.  Most everyone in my family likes lemony desserts and I thought this sounded delicious.  I hear that it was.  I actually didn't even have a piece!  I was so full from the meal, I passed on it.  But everyone else said it was fabulous.  I'll take their word for it.


Lemon White Chocolate Cheesecake
Adapted from Taste of Home

I have never had to cut in butter before to make a pastry crust so I didn't have a pastry cutter thing.  It was extremely difficult to make this crust, I am not going to lie.  If you prefer to make a graham cracker crust, please do.  You could also use vanilla cookie wafers and add the lemon zest to that as well. 

Crust
1 1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp confectioners' sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed

Filling
4 8oz packages of cream cheese, softened (do not use low fat or fat free)
1 1/4 cup suger
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs, beaten
10 squares of white baking chocolate, melted and cooled

Securely double wrap a 9in springform pan with heavy duty foil.  Preheat oven to 325

Crust: In a small bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar, and lemon zest.  Cut in the butter until it is crumbly.  I used two butter knives to do this and it was tricky and time consuming and I didn't get it quite as crumbly I think it needed to be.  But, the crust was good so I guess it was ok.  Put the mixture into the springform pan.  Press the crust into the bottom of the pan and about 1in up onto the sides.  Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on wire rack.

In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate by heating for 30 seconds.  After 30 seconds, remove bowl and stir chocolate.  Put back in the microwave and heat for 15-20 seconds, stirring after each turn in the microwave until it is all melted.  Set aside and cool.

In a mixer, beat the softened cream cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, heavy cream, and vanilla until well blended.  Add the eggs and beat on low until just combined.  With a spatula, stir in the white chocolate and lemon peel.  The batter may have small lumps but that is fine.  Pour into the crust.

Place the pan in a large roasting pan and add 1in of hot water to the roasting pan to create a water bath.  Bake at 325 for about 75-90 minutes until center is set and top appears dull.  It could take less time in your oven so keep an eye on it.

Remove the pan from the water bath and place on wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.  Slowly run a knife around the edge to loosen the cheesecake from the pan.  Cool on the wire rack for another hour.  Refrigerate overnight.

You can garnish and decorate the cheesecake as you wish.  I used lemon slices, lemon flavored fruit slice candy, and colored foil wrapped chocolate Easter egg candies.

No comments:

Post a Comment