December 21, 2010

Zucchini Bread



Christmas is less than one week away.  Is everyone ready?  I am.  All gifts have been bought; they just need to be wrapped.  I'm in good shape I think.  It's been busy around here lately but tis the season.  We all have the certain parties we go to and the family traditons that come with Christmastime.  I love those traditions.



Every year my family goes to my grandmother's house on Christmas Eve.  We have dinner and then exchange gifts with my mother's side of the family.  I have literally been doing this my entire life.  It would not be Christmas Eve without going there and eating her homemade cookies while opening gifts one by one.  Yes, we watch everyone open their gifts; it lasts longer that way.

Since M and I have been married, Christmas Day obviously has changed since I was child.  We get up and open the gifts we have for each other while still in our pajamas.  I must always sit on the floor (traditions again).  Then we get ready and go over to M's parents home to have a Christmas brunch with his side of the family.  It's awesome.  I look forward to this brunch every year.  This is a great tradition that started when we were married.  My parents and grandmother also stop by and it's a perfect way to spend Christmas morning.

Then M and I exchange gifts with his family and spend the rest of the day relaxing, eating some more, and playing games.  It's really fun.  I love board games and this is pretty much the one time all year I get to play them (M doesn't much care for them). 


That's a sneak peak into the traditions of our family for Christmas.  Some have changed but some have stayed the same.  One tradition that I have kept for myself for the past decade or so is zucchini bread.  I bake it every year at Christmastime and that's it.  I don't bake it any other time all year.  I should call it my Christmas Bread because it really is.  It is a sweet gift and I have given it out many times and it goes over quite well.  I would recommend it if you are still not sure what to get someone.  Homemade gifts are always a great way to go.


This recipe has seen many Christmas seasons and it will see many more. 

Merry Christmas!


Zucchini Bread

3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour two loaf pans.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.  Set aside.

In another large bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the sugar, vanilla and oil.  Blend well with the mixer.  Stir in the zucchini with a wooden spoon until combined.  Add half the flour mixture and stir with the wooden spoon until incorporated. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture.

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans.  Bake in the oven for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool in the loaf pans.  Carefully remove the bread from the loaf pans, slice and serve!  A smear of butter doesn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment