December 26, 2010

Feed a Cold Chicken Soup



Christmas has come and gone; I hope everyone had a great day!  Lots of food was eaten and gifts were given and sadly, I have no pictures of either.  It was very busy.


Christmas Eve we went to my grandmother's and had a lovely roast beef dinner and homemade cookies for dessert.  Too many gifts were also opened.  My grandmother's dog also enjoyed the evening.




Christmas Day we went to M's parent's home and had a great breakfast of eggs, bacon, hash and waffles.  Mmmm.  A wonderful family announcement was made and more gifts were given. 




Today, a blizzard is hitting our area.  As I type this, I am looking out through the sliding doors to the snow falling.  Right now, it's quite pretty.  Later, not so much.  M and I also have to venture out to the grocery store which should be interesting seeing as how the stores weren't opened yesterday and now there's a snow storm.  I avoided the store crowds as best I could but today it has become unavoidable; we need food.


Leading up to these days, I sick.  So very sick.  I am still not feeling that well today either.  This is a cold that kicks your butt and stays for a while.  It has worn out it's welcome.


The night before the cold really hit me, M and I roasted a chicken.  So good right?




It was pretty big chicken so we decided we would make a soup out of the leftovers the next night.  Well that next night turned out to be the first night of this killer cold but I sucked it up and made chicken soup.  What's better for a cold than a nice big bowl of steaming chicken soup? Feed a cold is what they say, right?  It wasn't hard to make either.  The chicken was already cooked and off the bone so all I had to do was chop some veggies and throw them in the soup pot.  It was really all I could manage that night but man did it taste good.  I ate it the next two days for lunch. 


Feed a Cold Chicken Soup
A recipe by Noelle

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 large potato, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 bay leaf
5-6 cups chicken stock
1 tsp dried marjoram
salt

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes.  Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion and cook for about 3-5 minutes.  Add the zucchni and red pepper along with the bay leaf and chicken stock.  Season with marjoram and salt to taste.  Bring the soup to a boil and then knock back the heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.  Serve steaming hot in a big soup bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment