October 2, 2010

Chicken with Fresh Tomato and Corn Salsa

We did it, folks!  We completed the 5K.  I am very glad I did it.  I couldn't run the whole time which I was pretty bummed about but it is really hard to keep your pace up with that many people running around you.  There were over 2,000 runners in this race and that didn't count the ones who were only walking.  I finished in about 34 minutes which actually isn't that bad.  My cousin's time was about 30 minutes so she did great!  I am very proud.  We are already thinking about doing it again next year. 


During the week after, M was traveling back and forth out of state for work and has to do that for the next week too.  Since he has been getting home later, dinners need to be quick.  I don't want to be cooking really late.  This chicken dish was super easy.  All you have to do is cook some chicken and chop some tomatoes and onions and boom, awesome dinner.  The recipe actually calls for the corn to be raw which would be fine but since it was so late in the season, I did cook the corn for a few minutes (in the microwave! gasp!).  It was my last taste of the summer with the fresh corn and it was a great way to end it.  I served it with couscous and it was one of my favorite meals we've had recently.


Chicken with Fresh Tomato and Corn Salsa
Adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray

1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
6-8 chicken tenders
salt and pepper
extra virgin olive oil
3 ears of corn, kernels cut off
2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
fresh basil, chopped

In three shallow dishes, add the flour in one, milk in the second, and bread crumbs in the third.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour, then the milk, then the bread crumbs.  Shake of any excess.

In a large skillet, heat about 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the chicken and cook on each side for for about five minutes until golden brown.  Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.

While the chicken is cooking, cook your corn to your liking or keep raw.  Cut the kernels off the ears.  Mix the corn with the tomatoes, onion, fresh basil, and about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve the salsa over the chicken.


Bonus Recipe: Parsley-Parmesan Couscous
A recipe by Noelle

1 cup chicken stock
1 cup couscous
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
handful of fresh parsley, chopped

In a saucepan, heat the stock until it boils.  Turn off the heat and add the couscous.  Cover tightly and let sit for about five minutes.  Add the parmesan cheese and parsley and fluff the couscous with a fork and combine the cheese and parsley.  Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! That dish looks delicious!

    Congrats on your first 5K. That's awesome! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Emily! I only had four weeks to train but it wasn't bad. I actually think I'll keep running.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete