June 24, 2010

Mushroom and Onion Pizza

Pizza is one of the easiest meals to throw together.  I know I posted another pizza recipe recently and really didn't think I would post another because they are just that easy.  I had some leftover tomato sauce and instead of putting it on pasta, M and I wanted pizza.  I love the mushroom and onion combination so that's what we went with.  Another great trick is to prebake the pizza dough with some herbs.  It adds another layer of flavor and this way, the middle is cooked all the way through.  I hate it when homemade pizzas are soggy in the middle because the cheese browned before the crust was completely cooked through.  Prebaking it first makes all of that go away and you have a delicious, cheesey pizza. 

M says he prefers homemade pizza to the local pizza shop's pie.  I am still on the fence.  But since we moved to where we currently live, there is really no good pizza place nearby which really doesn't bode well when M and I are just too tired and want a big, gooey, made by someone else pizza.  So, we have done more homemade pizzas and I am warming up to them.  I think it's the store bought dough that throws me off.  I think that should be one of my goals - learn how to make homemade pizza dough.  We'll see.


Mushroom and Onion Pizza
A recipe by Noelle at A Homemade Kitchen

1 tube or package prepared pizza dough
extra virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp dried oregano
salt
tomato sauce - jarred or homemade, whichever you like
1 bag shredded mozzarella or italian blend cheese
1 small onion, chopped
7-8 mushrooms, sliced

Preheat oven to 425.  Roll out pizza dough onto a baking sheet or pizza stone.  Prick the dough all over with a fork.  Drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.  Sprinkle on the oregano and salt.  Place in the oven and baked for about 7 minutes.  Remove from oven.

Top the pizza dough with tomato sauce, cheese, and vegetables.  Return pan to oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until cheese is melty and browned.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment