May 6, 2010

Baked Cod with Lemon and Parmesan Cheese

The very first meal I ever cooked for M when we were dating was baked haddock, rice pilaf and a recipe for green beans and shitake mushrooms I found at epicurious.com.  I have not adpated that green bean recipe at all so I am not going to post it but please go visit the lovely people at epicurious and make those green beans. 



The baked haddock I made was the way my family had been making fish for years.  It was just kind of a comfort food for me and I wanted to share that with M.  The bonus was, he liked it and we have been making fish this way ever since.  We do cook fish in other ways but we go back to this recipe often and it may be the easiest recipe I will ever post.  And, it can be used on so many kinds of fish.  The picture here is cod but use whatever fish you and your family likes.  I also served roasted asparagus this time which is also a staple in our house.  Asparagus is M's favorite and roasting it with a little bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top is delicious.

Baked Cod with Lemon and Parmesan Cheese
A recipe by Noelle at A Homemade Kitchen

This particular recipe I used cod.  But I have also used haddock, tilapia, salmon, and trout.  You can use any kind of fish that you like.  It is a very versatile recipe.  I also don't have measurements for this recipe, just the ingredient list.  Add as much or as little as you like.

1 to 1 1/2 lbs cod, haddock, tilapia, salmon, trout, or really any fish you like
salt
juice of half a lemon
seasoned bread crumbs
grated parmesan cheese
cubes of butter

Preheat the oven to 350.  Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and place the fish directly in the baking dish.  Season with salt and then squeeze the lemon juice all over the top of the fish.  Sprinkle with the bread crumbs all over the top and then follow with the parmesan cheese.  Drop a few cubes of butter over the top of fish.  I like to use small cubes and place them over most of the fish. 

Place into the oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes until the fish begins to flake.  Serve immediately with additional lemon wedges.

Bonus Recipe: Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese
A recipe by Noelle at A Homemade Kitchen

1lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
lemon juice
parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 425.  Place the asparagus on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and toss with your hands to distribute the oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place in the oven and roast for about 12-15 minutes.  Remove from oven and squeeze a little bit of lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.




Note: Since I was baking the fish, I put the asparagus in the oven along with the fish at 350 and kept them in the oven as long as the fish.  They were roasted a little more slowly since the oven wasn't quite as hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment