March 19, 2010

Make These

One day when I should I have been working (shh, don't tell), I discovered the most tasty sounding recipe. I was intrigued immediately by the title and copied the web address into an email with only the words "Make these!!" Note the two exclamation points. This was about a month ago and I should have made them much sooner. Heavenly is all I can say.




It was a recipe for Brown Butter Blondies. Now tell me, what is better than brown butter? And then using it to make a delicious treat? I could not think of one thing. Oh wait, adding chocolate chips. The recipe did not originally call for chocolate chips but I couldn't resist and it is a darn good thing I didn't. They were sweet, moist, and completely decadent. M was in love as well. I think he ate more than I did. I finally had to say "save some for me!" And the sweetheart that he is, he saved me two. What a nice guy. Although, I did eat some batter while making them and yum. And I gave some blondies to my parents to enjoy. I didn't feel right keeping them all for M and I. My parents were also fans of these little squares of deliciousness.

They did not last long in our house. M got home from work one day and said "what happened to the cookies?" First, these are not cookies, they are blondies. Second, I ate it! The last one was mine, remember? You saved me two. And it was scrumptious. You must make these.



Chocolate Chip Brown Butter Blondies
Adapted from Not Without Salt

I added chocolate chips (see the melty chocolate above) but you could certainly add peanut butter chips, toffee chips, white chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips. Even nuts! Or, add a combination. The blondies won't mind.

2 1/2 sticks of butter
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350. Butter a 9x13 inch pan and then line with parchment paper. Butter and flour the parchment as well.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter until it turns golden brown and smells nutty. The butter will bubble but just stir it around a little bit to see what color it is. Make sure you watch this closely because you do not want it to burn. Once it turns a nice golden brown color, turn off the heat and give it a stir. If the color looks right, remove from the heat and let it cool.

While the butter is cooling, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.

In a larger bowl, combine the brown butter and both sugars and stir until combined. Add eggs one at a time, stirring in just to combine after each one. Add vanilla and mix well. Slowly add flour mixture, about half at a time and stir to incorporate. Lastly, stir in the chocolate chips. Pour into the buttered pan.

Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not overbake. Cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Note: This recipe would also work well with light brown sugar and I think I will try that next time. Also, you will not have these blondies for 3 days. They are just that good.

1 comment: